Pages

April 9, 2009

Cajun Meatloaf

I made this meatloaf for potluck Sunday...and not one single morsel of it was brought back home! It really is THAT good. This is "Pastor Ryan's Cajun Meatloaf" from Pioneer Woman. I'll be posting this on "Ciao Down" also, but I know not everyone checks out that site and I wanted to share this with as many of you as possible. Now...go ciao down on some meatloaf. Your taste buds will thank you. (Your heart, not so much.)

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
3 bell peppers
2 med onions
1 bunch celery (5-6 ribs)
3 eggs
6 Tbs butter
1-2 C breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbs Worcestershire
1/2 C milk
2 C ketchup
2 Tbs honey
optional: few shakes of hot sauce

Preheat your oven to 400.

Chop all of the fresh vegetables (peppers, onions, celery) into a small dice and mince the garlic. Over medium heat melt 6 Tbs butter. Once butter begins to start brown, add the diced vegetables and garlic. Add about 1 Tbs salt. After these have cooked for a few minutes add Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, nutmeg, and Cayenne pepper. Add hot sauce if you want. Next add 1/2 of ketchup. Continue cooking and stirring for a few more minutes. Remove from heat.

After allowing the mixture to cool for a few minutes add milk. Stir until combined. Next add at least 1 C of bread crumbs. Continue adding bread crumbs and stirring until mixture is a nice, thick paste. In a large mixing bowl place the ground beef and pork. Wisk 3 eggs and add to the meat. After allowing the pasty vegetable mixture to cool down a bit, begin incorporating it into the meat. Keep working all of the Cajun-Veg mix into the meat until all is blended well.

Spray a sheet pan with some non-stick cooking spray. Next, using your hands, form your meat mixture into a loaf on the pan. Make the loaf about 6-8 inches wide and about 1 1/2 inches thick. In a small bowl or measuring up mix together 3/4 C of ketchup with about 2 Tbs of honey. Slather this sauce over top of the whole meatloaf.

Place in a 400 over for about 40 minutes.

3 comments:

Carin said...

that sounds awesome, is it a Texas recipe? I'm going to have to give this one a try. Shasta does recipes on Sun/Mon she's at http://crackersandchaos.blogspot.com/

thanks for the recipe!

Darcie said...

Yummy! I have the inlaws coming next week...maybe I will have to give this a try.

Lani said...

Decided I'm going to feed this to our lunch special meeting company on Saturday. How many will this feed, Kristen?