Pages

September 5, 2010

Of Cakes and Such

I had great plans of making Lia's birthday cake. My friend Shelly was going to help me decorate it, life was good, the angels sang and all that stuff. And then reality set in.

Now, mind you, I've made this recipe several times and it's ALWAYS turned out beautiful.  Not so much this time. 



The other half.

"Ok, Ok, so the cakes didn't turn out like I expected and I've got extra batter left over so I'll just make cupcakes, surely I can't mess those up."


I did the next reasonable thing  - I marched myself down to a local bakery and ordered a cake for my baby girl.  It was pink, cute, and just perfect.

I don't think I'll be putting any of the local bakerys out of business, at least any time soon.  It's good to realize your limitations.  It's better to realize them BEFORE you spend a lot of time, effort, and tears though!

A huge thank-you to my friend Shelly who offered to help!

5 comments:

Heather S said...

oh!! what a bummer about the cake/cupcakes.. thank goodness for local bakeries and good friends! (i've had to use both on several occasions) :)

The J's said...

So sorry about the cakes...THANK GOODNESS for the bakery! It just bums me the time wasted! (and MENTAL stress!!)

gkey said...

dear CakeCrash,

I can imagine how you felt! Wanting it all to turn out perfect for that little sweetie~pie.

My worst cake~baking~episode happened oh, maybe about 9 years ago when i could not get a 9 year old boys cake out of the pan. In the country fifteen miles from nearest bakery, no time for a trip in anyway so...a certain creative daughter (i think you know the one) of mine just turned it into a "war~zone" with hills, cracks, trenches, dark frosting, little soldiers, tanks, cannons and such.
The boy was happy, guests ate it and thought we planned it that way!

love,
A cake~wreck "on purpose" was okay for a boy....
in
NE

Darcie said...

Bummer! I am impressed however that you heard angels singing. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've had days (and cakes) like that. Aren't we glad there are Plan B's?