Growing up I had an idea of what the person I married would be like. Not that I was in a hurry - I certaintly wasn't - I just had my ideas of what "he" would be like. He would be from TX; we would live in the country; raise cattle; have sons who would be in 4-H and FFA; drive large diesel trucks. So...who did I end up with? He's from FL; we live in town, in a subdivision; raise one dog; probably no 4-H or FFA in our future; drive small vehicles. And I couldn't be happier! ;)
So, how do a TX girl and a FL boy get together? We get that question a lot! It's kind of complicated, but not really. ;)
*singing* "wrote a song about it, wanna hear it?, here it go" *end of singing* (name that tune!)
My Aunt and her family lived in a small town in the Atlanta area. David's Uncle and his family lived in the same small town. All the years growing up our family would make a trip out to GA every summer to see our extended family, and on occasion would see David's Uncle(Tio)/Aunt/Cousins also. Tio got the idea in his head many years ago that this "cute little Texas girl" would be just right for his nephew. Problem was, nephew lived in Jacksonville, FL so that didn't make it real convenient to introduce us. Several years went by and we never met. But I did hear about "the nice S. boys in FL". And you know the first thing a teenage girl thinks when she hears "they're such nice boys, and one of them is really quiet and shy (David)"...nerd, weird, not attractive, and a host of other negative things. I never even gave them a second thought.
A few years later my cousin Shelley got married and David happened to be visiting his Tio that weekend. After the wedding was over, a group of us got together and played basketball. David came to the game - supposedly to play, but I think it was really to scope me out. ;) Afterwards he gave me a ride back to my Aunt's house. The truth is, I was attracted to him at that point and he was to me also, but we were young and dumb so neither one of us said much of anything on that long drive! End of story.
Life happened and I ended up moving in with my Aunt/Uncle a few years later. I became good friends with Cindy who was dating Daniel, David's brother. Daniel was still living in FL at the time so he made many weekend trips up to GA. David decided to start coming with him - just to keep him company during that 6 hour trip you know! That was the story any way. ;) Needless to say David and I started dating during that time. Life was grand, things were rosy, then life happened again.
I moved back to TX to go to "College Round 2" and he moved to MN to go through the Radiology program at Mayo Clinic. We said we would keep and touch - we talked on the phone one time after that! I dated other people, he dated someone else, but we were never to far from each other's minds. Of course neither of us knew that at the time. Over two years passed and I was in a relationship with someone else. I was struggling in my situation - I liked that person very much and had absolutely no negative feelings at all about that person, but I knew he wasn't the one for me. It was a very hard thing for me to do, but I finally got up the nerve to end that relationship. The next day David called me. Talk about shell shocked! I knew his voice the second I heard it. The first question he asked me was "what's your status?". Yeah, it didn't take him long to cut to the chase! That was in December. In January we met in Atlanta - it was kind of a "neutral" place for us. In February, I went with him to Cindy and Daniel's wedding. In March he came to visit me in TX. In April I moved to FL. Mind you, his parents hardly knew I existed prior to me showing up to Daniel's wedding. They had no idea David was coming to see me every weekend when I lived in GA. They really thought he was going up just to keep Daniel company on that long road trip and to see his Tio and Aunt. ;) So they were a little surprised when I moved all the way out there after "only seeing David once or twice and talking on the phone a few times." My parents of course knew all about David. I remember telling my Mom one time "David is the kind of guy every mother would want her daughter to bring home".
I moved to FL in April '02, we got married in April '03, and Jacob was born in April '06. We moved back to TX in July '07 and Lia was born in Sept. '08. That's our story in a nutshell.
* I decided to do this post after reading someone else's post about how she and her husband met. I'd love to hear your story if you care to share it!
15 comments:
I LOVE hearing stories on how other people met!! So glad you shared yours with me! :)
thanks for sharing, Kristen! I will have to put ours down sometime too. we have always wondered about the details! :)
Wow! I can't believe the timing of his phone call, it gave me goosebumps. What a story! It was meant to be =)
Love your story! :) So fun to read about how people met.
When was David at mayo doing his training? I'm positive that I met him when he was there. We lived in Rochester from 1999 - 2006. Funny, I always thought he looked familiar when I saw him on your blog, but didn't get the connection.
That was so fun to read! I too enjoy hearing how couples meant...their "Love Story"...in a nutshell. ;o) Thanks for sharing!
@ Janelle - David was in Rochester from Sept. 1999 to December 2001. So yep, you probably saw him. He worked/was in school a lot though and went to see his g'parents/ Aunts/Uncles/Cousins who lived further north in MN on many weekends. It's a small world!
How fun to read your story!!!
I remember you telling me before " I am not marrying anyone who is not from Texas"! Funny, how our plans change! Your back in good ol' Texas now...maybe I'll join ya one day with my non-Texan hubby! ;)
Want me to fill in a few more "minor details"? :)
@ Susan - NO...I've included every thing I want to include. ;)
Kristen...so glad you to found each other! It was meant to be! So glad your family and ours can be great friends!
Why do we love these stories so much? Thanks for sharing yours! I read it earlier today but waited to comment until this evening. New love is such a beautiful thing. True and lasting love is even more beautiful. I love how you started it out too. Maybe it wasn't how you had planned it out in your mind but you couldn't be happier! We all know theirs ups and downs right? But great to hear of love flourishing even through the years!
Nicely done. Yep...I remember him coming to "visit me" all the time. The problem is... I never saw him (ha).
I would tell you my side of the story on how I met your brother but...you won't believe me.
@Lesha - I would believe your story on how you met, but I wouldn't believe your story on when the first "sparks" were. ;)
Nice story!
I should write mine down before I forget it!
Post a Comment