Try not to have a heart attack please...here I am!
I just attended my 15 year high school reunion - 15 YEARS! How can that be I want to know!!
Meet my friend Nikki. She and I grew up on the same street. The town where I grew up is very small and I attended Kindergarten through 12th grade with mostly the same kids. Nikki was no exception. In high school we were in band together which meant every Friday night during football season we were sitting in the bleachers at a game. I had no idea what was going on at the game - I just appreciated the "social time" I got to enjoy. After the game Nikki always brought me home - but only after a few times up and down the "drag". Yeah, we were cool like that. Now we're each married with a son and a daughter - how time has changed things!
For anyone who doesn't understand/ appreciate what the "drag" is...in my town there is one main street that goes through town. The cool kids (anyone with a vehicle) would start driving at a certain parking lot, drive through town, turn around at a the parking lot on the other end of the street, turn around, drive back to the original parking lot, and repeat the process. Yes, yes, that is what we did. With the windows down of course so you can talk to everyone as you're driving by them. It used to be that Ff was always jumping on a Fri./ Sat. night with all the kids out. Now, it's dead. Kind of sad to me. Where are all the kids?
Meet Leslie. We grew up next door to each other. Both of our families moved into the houses we grew up in when we were 3. That was the beginning of our friendship. There are a million stories we could tell on each other. We used to play Strawberry Shortcake dolls together after school. We learned to ride bikes together. We played hide and seek under the street light that was in our driveway. I would also sneak out and talk to Leslie through her bedroom window. I thought I was really doing something. Eventually boyfriends and cars came into our lives. And drama. ;) But we remained good friends through it all. Leslie now is married, has a cool job, travels the world with her husband (just because they can), and I live vicariously though her sometimes.
13 comments:
What a fun post! yes, they have done the "drag" for years in our town. Not me tho, I was a social misfit!!!! LOL!
But does Leslie have a Jacob or a Lia in her life? Nuff said.
how neat to see everyone- 15 yr reunion. Our class has done nothing. not even a 10 year.
You must be my little sister's age- their 15th is/was right about now. My class just did 20 years; would have been interesting to go. Quite a few have gotten in touch via f/b recently which has been nice.
We had a 'drag', too- I tried it about once and didn't enjoy it at all... but I was a bit of a misfit, too! ;)
How neat is that Kristen! Too cool that you could go and see your friends again. Lookin' so pretty I might add!
About that 'drag'...yeah we had one too. My friends finally talked me to going on it...didn't end up so well...but that is a story for another day.
I have your piece of apple pie waiting. ;-)
Oh boy do I remember draggin main. So much gas was wasted on Friday and Saturday nights. And why? I had a Olds Delta 88 and it was a huge boat. We could fit 9 girls in there when we dragged! :)
Great pics and stories. Love that you're still friends with your childhood pals. If you think 15 is old, try 20! Mine is this weekend.
Do you realize how old that is making your mother? I just wish that you would slow down:)
I totally understand the drag and the friendships from K through 12!! With my graduating class of 49 more than half of us were together since at least 1st grade! Isn't it fun??!! :)
Really I do want to know where time flies? How fun to go back and see all of your friends from way back. :)
Thanks for sharing your fun days with us.
Fun post, Kristen! and neat that you still have connections with your childhood friends. I have a few people that I "live through", too, but sure wouldn't want to miss my own life in the process. :)
Your getting OLD!!!!!! Hey, the next time where in Fairfield we can drive the drag if this will make you feel better. :) We had one in our town also called "dip street". MEMORIES!!!!
opps meant to say, "When we're in Fairfield..."
Post a Comment