Pages

October 19, 2010

Shoot Me!: 26 First Soccer Game

Another great meme brought to us by Carin at Forever In Blue Jeans. Every Thursday post a picture of you with a child, spouse, friend or even by yourself. If you are thinking this challenge is too hard, then this is exactly the challenge you need. Do you have thousands of pictures and you are in none of them? How is that good to your children or loved ones? It’s time you got in the picture, you’ll be glad you did!

A few Saturdays ago Jacob had his first 2 soccer games.  He got put on a team that is all 3 year olds (some of them just barely) and he's 4 1/2.  That's quite an age difference and I can definitely tell in the way they play.  Not that Jacob is some kind of superstar, but he IS the only one that actually stays on the field and plays the game.  Seriously, the ONLY one on his team that actually plays.  Our team is lucky if they have 3 of the 6 kids to walk onto the field at the beginning of the games just to watch the coin toss.  By 15 seconds into the game a couple of kids have walked off and Jacob is the only one left to "play" against the other teams.  I think instead of being the Tadpoles, the team should change their name to "Team Jacob".  He h as handled it quite well.  I am very proud of him.  By the time this past Saturday came, and it was his third game to play pretty much on his own, though, he was getting a bit frustrated.  Two other kids play intermittently if their parents are standing on the sidelines making them go back onto the field.  But you can imagine what kind of playing they do...none.  The other parents do try to get their kids out there, the coach does try to get everyone out there, but it's just not working.  Next year Jacob will be able to move up to the 5 and 6 year old team and hopefully he'll get put on a team where the kids will at least stay on the field!   We do like our coach and what he's trying to do, it's just a young group of boys Jacob happen to have gotten put with this time.  Needless to say he's learning some life lessons!  Tears of frustration were flowing by the time his last game was over and this Mommas heart was hurting, but it wasn't anything Chick-fil-a couldn't help!  We are so proud of our little man for going out there and trying anyway - he may not be big, but he sure is playing big!




10 comments:

Darcie said...

I can understand that would be a tough situation for momma and Jacob. They start learning those life lessons awfully early, don't they? Glad Chick-fil-a could help. ;-)

Heather S said...

love the quote..
what a lil trooper he is! good thing for chick-fil-a ;)

Raimie said...

Dear Kristen,
A one man show, huh? wow! Way to go Jacob! I love his expression, what a poser!

Love,
Raimie

Karen said...

Wow! I think I would even play soccer with 3 1/2 year olds to get chick-fil-a! They don't have that here. I miss it.
Tell Jacob he's the most patient man I know. I can't imagine trying to play a whole bunch of games by yourself. My kids won't even do that.
Hopefully he'll still want to play next year! :)

Congrats on the niece!! :) Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice. Makes the world go 'round.

Erin said...

Someone I knew described soccer with little ones as a bunch of bumblebees all following the flower...you can't tell teams or positions or pretty much anything, you just get to smile!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful family picture. I am now a follower of your blog.

Please Shoot Me a visit when you get a chance, thank you!

Janis said...

Good for Jacob to keep on playing the game. He is learning valuable lessons at an early age. Great family shot!

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES!!! A trowel. I can not believe I couldn't remember that word. I too have plastered many walls and I just couldn't come up with it. lol

Oh and super cute picture.

Anonymous said...

Cute family picture. The sunglasses make him look official. :)

gkey said...

dear All soccered out,

Fun to read about Jacob's soccer adventure. Wonder what he will say when the time rolls around next year? Suppose he will feel like a pro by then!

love,
The only ball-game I would care to watch...(oops don't tell the football fans)
in
NE