Pages

August 23, 2011

I Bequeath To You One Grown Man...

(By Victor Buono.  The origional poem can be read here.  Tweaked by me.)

Dear World:  I bequeath to you today one grown man...in a clean blue shirt...with two brown eyes...
And a sweet smile that makes his wife's heart melt, and a bald head that used to have hair as curly as his son's and daughter's.
I trust you'll treat him well.
He's slipping out of our driveway today and driving down the street to his first day of school at XYZ University.
Gone will be the daddy and husband who comes home from work and have nothing to do but spend time with his family. 
The daddy and husband who spends 8 hours away from home helping other people when they are sick, hurt, dying; he is physically, mentally, emotionally spent, yet always has enough left to give to us.
Now, he'll learn even more about helping people when they are sick, hurt, and dying.
He will learn what it is to be a student again after many years. 
He will learn what it is to have to study when he has two children wanting to play with him.
He will learn how to deal with the pressures of not only school and work, but the pressures of school and work with a wife and kids at home relying on him to take care of them financially.
And his daughter and I will stand in the driveway and blow kisses to him and pray that his dreams come true.
So world,  I bequeath to you today one grown man...in a clean blue shirt...with two brown eyes...
And a sweet smile that makes his wife's heart melt, and a bald head that used to have hair as curly as his son's and daughter's.
I trust you'll treat him well.


8 comments:

The J's said...

Oh! New adventures! Sweet, Kristen!

TNCarrolls said...

Yay for David pursuing his ambitious dreams, and yay for you for being such a supportive wife. He couldn't do it with out you. Sometimes it is just as hard being the the stay at home mom and wife, knowing what our kids and hubbies are facing and not being able to "do" it for them. Hoping for a fabulous first day for David and a fabulous first week for Mr.J.

Traci K said...

Good for you, David, to pursue your dreams (what's he going for?). Hang in there Kristen! Been on that end a little when Mike got his PE and it was tough! Know you all can do it though!

Jacob looks like he'll enjoy Kindergarten. He'll have lots of stories to tell and lots of new friends to make!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you David

Alison said...

Love these 2 posts... Must be exciting but a little scary for all of you. I remember so well that day I dropped my first one off at school... :) Way to go Jacob and David!!!

Happy Weekend!

Darcie said...

A lot of NEW steps going on at your home! So happy for all, and what a beautiful post to encourage him in his pursuit of his goals, which ultimately come right back to his family.

Anita said...

Wow- all the best to the new student! That's a big undertaking!

Lani said...

Oh wow! Everybody's going to school! Best luck to your biggest boy. He will do great. So will you. :)