Pages

February 23, 2010

Bullfighting: Uno

This past weekend was the inaugural Federation of Freestyle Bullfighters bullfight in Stephenville, TX.  So...what does that mean to me??  Well, since you asked, my brother is one of the co-founders.  To say that Brad and his partners have put a million hours in to getting this started would be an understatement.  They have worked incredibly hard and I am so proud of what they have accomplished.

A little info. about American bullfighting - this is NOT the same as Spanish bullfighting.  These bulls do NOT get hurt or killed during or after the fights.  The object of the fight is for the cowboy to "dance" as close to the bull as possible without getting hurt.  We are not in the business of hurting any animals!

Bullfighting: Dos and Tres will come later!  These are only photos from before the event!

Several hours before show time my Dad and I went up to the arena to check things out and help out if we could.  I don't think Brad appreciated me playing paparazzi...at least that's how he looks in the first photo.  That's ok - one day he'll appreciate this.

Various paraphernalia from the pre-show.  The Grand-Champion, Reserve Champion, and Co-Founders received belt buckles.  Our Dad is putting the buckle on Brad's belt for him.  Badges, and "bullfighting gear". 

Last minute pre-show instructions from Brad, Sandy, and "Mr. T"

Our Dad with Pat - she's kept Brad's books for several years now.  She's like an extension of our family.  And yep, she was just as excited to be there as the rest of us!  The bullfighters getting gussied up in one of the boxes.

Now for some of the super cute cowboys and cowgirls in attendance!
  Cowboy Jacob 

Cowgirl Lia (and her bling)

Cowboys Trace & Trevin

Oh look!!  It's Papa and Nana!

Cowboy Jacob and Cowboy Trevin had enough of this whole sitting thing - they needed to run off some energy.  Papa was happy to watch them so the rest of us could watch the bulls and fighters.

And yes, Lesha, David, and I were in attendance too!  We just weren't as documented as some of the others.  Funny how that happens.

Coming next:  The Fights!

12 comments:

Mimi/Susan said...

Thanks for sharing these. I'll be anxious to see part 2 & 3. I can see the nerves in Brad's eyes. Yeah, I'm sure the last thing he wanted to see was you with yor camera! We talked to him Sun evening, after I talked with you and your Mom.
I took note of Lia sporting another "ponytail do".

Heather S said...

how exciting! can't wait for the rest of the pics.. we went to a 'champions' bullriding here in nashville this wk end!

Wrena said...

I♥RODEO! Looking forward to more pictures! and btw I♥Lia's bling ;)

Carin said...

Yeah yeah yeah, lots of fun. Boys in boots, lots of cute kids, lots of action. BUT.... YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOW PICTURES OF YOUR SWEET LITTLE LIA WITH A PINK BELT, PINK JD BOOTS, PINK WESTERN SHIRT!.... sigh... this mom of THREE BOYS just can't handle it!!!!

The J's said...

Whew, more awesome pictures of your kids!
Ahem, Gay isn't the only one with cute grandkids, hint, hint....LOL!!!

gkey said...

hi there Kristen,
I am DYING over your wee Cowboy and Cowgirl....I am here to say your little people are seriously the CUTEST Texas kids I have EVER seen.
And I am still basking in the afterglow of actually getting to see them and hug them in person recently....come meet the rest of this crazy Nebraska bunch, I am having a hard time dealing with the jealous ones....ahem ahem!!
Love,
TheNebraskaNana

All American Family said...

@ Maxine & Gay - y'all are too much!! Thanks for your kind comments. We did have a greeat time. I hear you Gay - I've had to deal with jealousy too and I know it's no fun. ;) But the truth is - is there a such thing as someone's grandkid who is not cute?? I think not. At least in the eyes of the Grandmothers. ;) Hopefully one day before to long we can all get together - how fun would that be!!

Darcie said...

Well if this isn't the neatest thing ever. I would have loved to come along. It's been FOREVER since I have been to even a rodeo. This looks so interesting and can't wait for the following post.

As always and forever...adorable kiddos!

Renita said...

Oh wow! I can't wait to see the bullfighting pictures!! I just LOVE Lia's little outfit! Looks like a fun time!!

Us 4 said...

WOW! Lots of work, sure looks like it paid off!! Love Ms. Lia's bling bling belt! She looks adorable! Brad sure fits the part perfectly....tell him congrats on all of this! Jay wonders where David's hat and big belt buckle is???? Huh? Come on, David....ya got the boots now you gotta add to it!! lol Maybe we will have to join you at the next one?? Looks like fun!

Catherine Anne said...

I grew up with this and see the love of it all in my son. Great photos...

Lani said...

That's impressive. I just kept looking and thinking how much hard work has to go into something like this. Wow, wow, wow! I'm particularly fond of the little cow poke and cow pokess. Lia's belt is fantastic.