Pages

July 3, 2009

Recipe - and a plea for help!

So...I'm coming out from the rock I've been hiding under for the last little while. I guess you could say I've been in a "blog funk" lately as quite frankly I just haven't felt like writing/ post pictures/ commenting etc. Nothing bad is happening...just been in a "non blog" mood I guess you could say. But...I do want to share this recipe here...if you're going to make potato salad for the 4th you MUST make this particular recipe. It's the BEST!! I got it from my friend Shauna - she made it for us one weekend when we were there. My head was spinning trying to figure out how on earth I was going to be a "good guest" (though we feel more like family) and eat it when the truth is I can't stand Potato Salad. Well let me tell you, I was in for a huge surprise...this stuff is goooood! Honestly, I don't like any of the ingredients in it (other than the potatoes) ;) but mixed all together it's ummm ummm good!

But before I share this golden recipe here is my plea for help...I need some vegetarian recipes. I can't even believe I'm writing this but it's true. (Hanging my proud TX beef eating head in shame.) David has a chronic condition (Gout) that is getting worse and worse. I know, I know, those of you who know what Gout is think that it's something only old people get where their big toe gets swollen and painful after they've consumed to much alcohol or eaten to much rich meat. That's true for 90% of the population...but for those of you who know David "in real life" he's not like the rest of the population. For better or for worse. ;) I won't get into his medical history (it's way more complicated than "just" gout) as it would be quite boring to everyone else, you really don't care, and he probably wouldn't want me to, but...what we REALLY need to do is move to Alaska (a cold climate is better for him) and survive on nothing but rice and only certain beans. Moving to Alaska is not an option and I really would like to feed my family more than rice and beans. So...I'd love it if you would e-mail me your favorite vegetarian recipes. Remember I live in rural East TX which means I have no access to great and wonderful stores like Whole Foods and such. Not without driving for a few hours. I need something that I can make with ingredients from a "regular" grocery store. And peanuts/ peanut butter...forgetaboutit!! Can't have that either. As I try the recipes I'll post them on here (and on CiaoDown). So that's your homework class. Have a great Holiday Weekend...and get those recipes turned in! ;) kristencoker (at) hotmail (dot) com

Shauna's Potato Salad
2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes
2 large eggs
Kosher salt
2 cups mayonnaise
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¼ cup finely chopped dill pickles with ¼ cup juice, about 2 pickles
¼ small onion, finely chopped
½ lemon, juiced
⅛ C sugar
freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes and eggs into a big saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a simmer. After 12 minutes remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool. Continue cooking the potatoes until a paring knife poked into them goes in without resistance, about 3 minutes longer. Drain the potatoes in a colander and let them cool.

Stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, pickles and their juice, onion, and lemon juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes. Peel the cool eggs and grate them into the bowl. Stick a fork into the potatoes and lift them 1 at a time out of the colander. Break up the potatoes by hand into rough chunks, add them to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

i know what you mean about a non-blogging mood! cookinglight.com always has some vegetarian recipes.

Janelle said...

I've been in a non-blogging mood lately too. I actually tried a vegetarian dish a couple weeks ago.

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2009/05/veggie-loaf-revisited.html

And then there's this recipe that I haven't tried yet, but sounds intriguing to me:

http://shannonsfood.blogspot.com/2008/07/yummy-veggie-burgers-seriously.html

Hope that helps! :)

Us 4 said...

Girlfriend!! I love you....you flatter me with a recipe in my name!! I know it is a great recipe and I have made it several time since you were here!! Sorry to hear about David's gout getting worse. I will look into my recipe books and e-mail you anything I can find! Hope that helps him! I am going to call you maybe even tonight!

Del, Kari, Kyle and Kolby said...

For ways to get fresh fruits and veggies check out this website: http://www.localharvest.org/ and choose CSA and put your zipcode off to the right. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture - I have a friend who just signed up with one the other night and I am now investigating myself! We need to go slightly vegetarian (Fish is great, Chicken/Turkey is okayish... anything else is a really shouldn't eat for us) Not that we won't ever eat things but we'll be careful... :)

Hugs to you and David and those sweet babies!!

Mommabelle said...

What are food you have to exclude?
Other than meat and peanut butter?